Student Complaint Process

North Carolina Central University has several ways in which a student may submit a complaint or grievance. Students should address concerns as soon as possible after the event occurs and submit their concerns in writing (email is acceptable).

Academic Complaints

Ontario S. Wooden

Associate Vice Chancellor for Innovative, Engaged and Global Education

Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

306 Shepard Administration Building

Durham, NC 27707


Phone: 919-530-6230

Kimberly P. McGhee

Director, Division of Extended Studies

128 Farrison-Newton Communications Building

Durham, NC 27707


Phone: 919-530-7593

Non-Academic Complaints

Star Dorsett

Student Advocacy Coordinator

Division of Student Affairs

Room G19 Student Services Building

Durham, NC 27707


Phone: 919- 530-7492

Step 1 – All Students

The initial responsibility for resolving the complaint resides with the institution. Your first step as an NCCU student, regardless of residency, is to review and follow the NCCU Student Complaint Process. Students enrolled in an online course or program should complete and submit the NCCU Online Student Complaint Form or the NCCU Online Student Grievance Form.  Visiting/Non-Degree Seeking students should follow North Carolina Central University Student Grievance procedures as outlined for undergraduate or graduate status. Visiting/Non-Degree Seeking students should follow the procedure for undergraduate or graduate students.  Complaints must be submitted in writing (email is acceptable).

REG 10.16.1- Grievance Procedure for Undergraduate Students Regulation

REG 10.16.2 – Grievance Procedure for Graduate and Professional Students Regulation

For questions about the student complaint and grievance process for Online and Distance Education courses or programs at North Carolina Central University, please contact the Director for the Division of Extended Studies, Kimberly McGhee by email ( or phone (919-530-7593).

Step 2 – Select the Appropriate Action for Your Residency Status

  • Out-of-State Students: If your complaint is not resolved at the institutional level, then complaints may be submitted to SARA-North Carolina for out-of-state students residing in NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement) states, which includes all states except California.  SARA-North Carolina operates under NCSEAA (North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority).  Access the Student Complaint Form at SARA-North Carolina Student Complaint Process web page.

Contact Information for NCSEAA c/o SARA North Carolina:

P.O. Box 14103

Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

Toll free: 855.SARA.1.NC (727.2162)

Local: 919-549-8614, ext. 4667

Fax: 919-248-6667


Contact Information for North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

c/o Student Complaints

University of North Carolina System Office

910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

Phone: 919-962-4550


Additional Resources for Student Complaints

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

1866 Southern Lane

Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097

Phone: 404-679-4500