The Department of Kinesiology and Recreation Administration offers an online Master of Science Degree in Kinesiology and Recreation Administration. Concentrations include Adapted Sports and Recreation, Recreational Therapy, and Kinesiology. These concentrations provide a comprehensive graduate education in Kinesiology and Recreation. The programs are designed to stimulate professional competence, scholarship, and independent research. The concentrations are also designed to provide advanced study in assessment, human movement and recreational activities. The program will offer synchronous and asynchronous mode of delivery within each individual concentration.Request Info Apply
The Online Kinesiology and Recreation Administration MS program is unique in that it is the only program in NC that offers Recreational Therapy, Adapted Sports and Recreation, and Kinesiology online. Within the program, students will have an option to obtain certifications throughout the various concentrations.
The MS Online Kinesiology and Recreation Administration program prepares students for a variety of careers that fall within the realm of recreational therapy, adapted sports and recreation, and kinesiology.
Careers associated with recreational therapy consist of a certified recreational therapist that works in clinical settings such as hospitals, rehab facilities and VA facilities. Adapted sports and recreation is associated with careers in coaching, strength and conditioning and fitness specialist, administration (collegiate &/or elite) as well as sport classifier. Students within the kinesiology concentration can pursue health professional careers such as nurse, physician assistant will consist of physical and occupational therapist, and exercise physiologist. The online MS program offers opportunities for expansion into a more advanced degree into a faculty researcher. Each profession is on demand to address the ever-increasing health disparities in the state, nation, and globally.
Program Costs (include estimated cost or link to tuition and fees):
Students will be required to participate in field experiences within their specific location whether through internship or practicum experiences based on the individual courses.
The requirements for all applicants are as follows:
- Online graduate admission application
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts of all schools attended (if you earned your degree from a non-U.S. school, please see the international applicant requirements)
- Statement of purpose or personal statement
- The GRE is not required
Admit Terms and Admission deadlines (fall, spring and/or summer):
Summer 2023 Admission Deadlines
- No admissions
Fall 2023 Admission Deadlines
- April 1st – Final application deadline date for all international applicants to apply for Fall 2023 admissions.
- July 31st – Final application deadline date for all domestic students to apply for Fall 2023 admissions.
Spring 2023 Admission Deadlines
- September 1 – Final application deadline date for all domestic students to apply for Spring 2023
- November 1 – Final application deadline date for all domestic students to apply for Spring 2023
Dr. Lei Guo
Recreational Therapy Coordinator
Dr. Andrea Woodson-Smith
Adapted Sports and Recreation Coordinator
Graduate Program Director